December 26, 2009

DIY Macro Rig

My macro lighting set-up is far from perfect, I have to do something to improvise it. Without a budget, you can try this:



It costs almost nothing except a small piece of aluminium foil. Before I have this reflector, the maximum aperture I can have is f/11, any smaller aperture will cause insufficient light (or any smaller aperture with slower shutter speed will cause image blur). Now I probably can stop down until f/16 or even f/22 to achieve more DOF while maintaining my shutter speed.

However its raining when I completed this, I will try the effect when I have a chance.

UPDATE: Here are pics taken by this set-up on f/16. I finally can stop down to f/16 or more while retaining 1/200s shutter speed.




(100% crop)

As you can see, the lighting is better than last time, however, the major problem is the reflection, it is a bit too strong where some of the details are blown out. I still need to fine tune my set-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails